Field Test or New FTP from Group Ride

Hi Frank,

I finished week 6 of SS1 with a Zwift climb up Mont Ventoux - next best thing to a group ride with COVID restrictions in Melbourne.

I set a new FTP on the Saturday ride that was 10 per cent higher than my original field test.

Question is how necessary is it to back up the Ventoux climb 2 days ago with a Field Test tomorrow when Iā€™m going straight into SS2 or Road racing interval training? (Advice appreciated.)

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

If you feel your FTP is accurate there is little to no reason to repeat a field test effort. They are in the plans to make sure that an athlete has an accurate FTP before starting a plan. When most combine plans we often suggest doing an alternate workout. Could move up Wednesday / Thursdays effort to Tuesday / Wednesday or could do something like a 2 x 15 minute threshold effort with 7.5 minutes between which would be a similar workout to the field test effort.

Oh and nothing quite like a Zwift race to yield a new FTP! Every race is like a field test effort. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The Mount Ventoux climb is quite long.