Field test in the wild or on the trainer

I just finished my 10 week weight lifting plan and now I have an upcoming test. This is my first test working with a Fascat plan.

In the past I have always tested on the trainer using sufferfest but now wondering if I should test in the wild. I have a good climb I can use in the area if I want to go that way.

I’m just wondering what (or if it matters) I should do. I will do most (pretty much all) of my workouts on the trainer so should I test on the trainer?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Looking forward to my 18 weeks of base plan to start.

1 Like

Hey!

Great work finishing up your training plan!

For the field test- you can do it on the trainer if you’d like but from my experience it is much easier both mentally and physically to test outside on a hill that has a 2-3% incline. If you have a road you would like to test on make sure there are no stop signs, lights, or any interruptions like that that.

Enjoy the test and give it all you got!

1 Like

I second what Coach @Allie says, I always like for athletes to test outdoors if at all possible.

You’ll make more watts with the wind in your face and time seems to go by a little quicker. Presumably you are training for an outdoor event unless you are an e-Racer so outdoors is going to be more specific to your goals.

However since it is winter and you gotta be safe from ice and snow and daylight sometimes in order to #FtFP one needs to test indoors. We’ve had many an athlete perform 20 minute tests indoors especially back when we had an indoor cycling studio. This indoor 20 minute training tip may help and either way FtFP :wink:

1 Like

I would advise completing the test where you will continue to repeat the test. I have found testing in multiple locations provides varied results. Consistency!

Ed

3 Likes

^^^ really good point @edward.krasnai - test on the same hill from the same ‘start line’, etc… this is what we call apples to apples for comparing. I would also add with the same power on the same bike to eliminate any device-to-device variability!

Minimize the variables down to only one (your power output) and you can achieve pretty darn close to a laboratory grade test :nerd_face:

3 Likes