FAILURE - Why you should embrace it!

๐˜๐˜ˆ๐˜๐˜“๐˜œ๐˜™๐˜Œ - we all experience it and for some athletes itโ€™s hard to deal with.

But guess what? ๐™’๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™›๐™–๐™ž๐™ก๐™ช๐™ง๐™š, ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™˜๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ฉ ๐™๐™–๐™ซ๐™š ๐™จ๐™ช๐™˜๐™˜๐™š๐™จ๐™จ!

Check out the YouTube video to hear more from Coach Frank about why he likes to see athletes embrace failure & how it can be used to make you a better athlete!

Also, leave a comment below and tell us any failures you have had that have grown you as an athlete! You might just give a fellow cyclist some motivation to push past defeat :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLZex3Fncg&t=7s

My roots originate as an alpine ski racer working with coaches since grade school. I finished my alpine career competing at CU Boulder then helped coach with Richard Rokos for two years before moving on to my current career in aviation. Now 52, married 27 years, endured the death of a child and raised two others. Much success and failure along the way for sure!

One thing I have learned as an athlete is the best start young and they are simply more dedicated, if not obsessed, with their chosen sport. In many cases to a fault. So, as a coach or parent, we need to identify this fault early and give the kids perspective on the bigger picture. The bigger picture is of coarse being at peace with where you are right now understanding everything is life is an ebb and flow of learning. Itโ€™s impossible to learn something with out failure. Reading, math, driving, relationships, sport, etcโ€ฆare all the same. Itโ€™s part of what it means to be human. Giving kids life responsibility and holding kids accountable for their actions from a young age builds this understanding. As a parent, donโ€™t make failure negative. IMO that is where the fear of failure starts.

While Iโ€™m not a very accomplished cyclist, I feel like I could literally write a book on what I see having been close to the top of another sport. The best bang for the buck is hire a reputable coach. With the amount of data and research happening on performance now more than ever. Coaching will help you focus time and understand the process in a positive, controlled and efficient manner.

Lots more I could write but, will leave it there. Great topic! Thanks for starting the thread.

3 Likes