So, after a few years noodling around, and a year following TR plan to the letter (apart from an injury, 100% complicance) I decided to switch to FasCat (reasons to be divulged at a later date, as not relevant to the topic at hand )
I’m quite used to the ramp test in TR, but, I decided to #FtfP and attempted my 20 mins field test, indoors (air pollution too high to exercise outdoors) and using resistance mode.
I baselined on my latest (and greatest, no doubt) result over a 20 mins period, which gave me a reading of 225 versus the 220 I was before starting my last build block over on TR.
But I completely blew up.
Granted, I had 2 main problems:
- lack of nutrition yesterday, I didn’t realise until I logged everything into MFP afterwards that I ran too big a deficit. Since I do my workouts straight out of bed, I don’t have the luxury of pre-ride nutrition.
I did take a fair amount of carbs during the warm-up, but it could explain the lack of juice
- Massive issue with pacing. I’m usually pretty good outdoors, on a steady climb, for instance, but this was a disaster.
Oh well, let bygones be bygones, and move on.
My current plan, which I would like validated/invalidated:
- do tomorrow’s SS ride as planned, with my estimated FTP of 225
- on Friday (D3 of the plan) do a ramp test and a bit of Z2 to get up to the TSS prescribed.
That should give me a good indication of where I actually stand in terms of FTP and allow me to:
- Retest using the 20 mins jobber on Sunday, instead of the SS group ride, adding some extra Z2 afterwards if i’m short on TSS
Does that sound reasonable?