Eliminating some foods

i’m in the process of some lifestyle diet changes. I want to cut out some foods in my diet and make some changes little by little. I feel if i do everything at once or cold turkey i will fail.

As a professional what do you think 2-3 foods or other things we consume has humans that would be best to cut from our diets?

about me: I’m a professional chef in a hotel and eat a bit of everything… Of course i’m around food all day long… Good food, bad food all kinds of delicious stuff. :pizza: :hamburger: :croissant:

If you were giving advice to someone you don’t know what would you ask them to try to eliminate for a healthier lifestyle and possibly give them a better chance for improving performance?

Hey @drlibasci !
Congrats on making the decision to eat better and improve your lifestyle.
As a dietitian, I can without a doubt tell you that the best changes to make are ones that you can maintain for the long haul. Eliminating entire food groups is typically not a change that most people can sustain.
Moreover I don’t believe in labeling foods as “good and bad” as there can be a place for “bad foods.”

For example, eating gummy bears while sitting at your desk is not “good” but eating Gu chews on a ride is good for your performance. Also foods super high in sodium are not good for the lay person, but for athletes they can play a key role in replacing electrolytes lost through sweat.

That said there are some foods you should try to decrease your consumption of like:

• Trans fats (usually labelled on ingredients lists as “partially hydrogenated oils”). These raise your bad cholesterol and lower your good cholesterol.
  • Foods high in saturated fat (aka fatty meats, processed meats, cheese)
  • Foods you don’t enjoy eating
  • Foods you are allergic/ intolerant to :wink:
  • Foods with excessive amounts of added sugar (outside of ride nutrition and post ride recovery)

Now let me again emphasize that I am saying to decrease your intake. That doesn’t mean you have to completely eliminate them forever.

What is even better than just focusing on eliminating foods is to shift your focus to including more nutritious foods in your diet like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, etc. By eating more of these foods you will be satiated and as a result, eat less of the “less nutritious” foods I listed above.

One of my favorite quotes from Michael Pollan sums up what I am saying here very well…
“Eat food, not too much, mostly plants” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Awesome advice!!! I do like its not a eliminate things way…

I will work on the sugar part!! I don’t use additional sugar in anything!!! i need to work on the sweet tooth craving after my lunches and read labels more for the hidden sugars in some packaged foods…

Thank you for the advice!!!

YOU ROCK!!