Cyclocross Training Mega Thread

Apologies for delayed response. Had a personal issue to deal with this past week. You will not even notice in a race and will not effect your performance at all!

1 Like

Thanks a million, and hope all good with you.

On the CX interval plan, Fridays are off. I am racing now, so I want to do openers on Fridays. How do you suggest I adjust the plan?

Hi Melissa - like this:

similar to what we were explaining to @taylor.mac.jones

For you, racing on Saturdays you will want to take Thursday OFF and do your openers on Friday. Move the Thursday workout to Sunday and possibly add in 30-60 minutes more of endurance.

1 Like

Iā€™ve glued up a few of these, and one thing Iā€™ve noticed is that the base tape on the tire is bulged up around the valve. The first one I did was a raised up like yourā€™s and I have had an issue with it. The next one I did trimmed the base tape a little bit with a razor blade. Thereā€™s a youtube video somewhere showing the process.

I just finished up Six weeks till cx plan a week ago and uploaded the cx interval plan to keep going. I feel good, the plans are working great and like to maintain it.
I have two questions: My CTL has dropped(as you mentioned in the podcast) but if I follow the plan it looks to keep dropping(like 30-40pts). At some point shouldnā€™t I try to build it back up some? Also, the cx interval plan has me doing a lot inbetween race weekendsā€¦ Im honestly feeling little fatigued already and just donā€™t want to overdo it. Would skipping cx interval plan and going to race n, recover plan with like a build week in there be good? I understand those questions kinda counteract each other and thatā€™s where I need your help.

Donā€™t worry about CTL at this point in your CX season. The race n recovery is a great plan especially if you feel like you need to recover more (like you are).

The catch is when your season is over - if in 6-10 weeks youā€™ll be fine but if you plan on racing till Dec. stay on the CX intervals plan and THEN the race n recover plan

1 Like

On 20/10 Tabatas, should I stay fully seated or stand up too?
Iā€™ve been doing them all seated.

During my races, I donā€™t get out of the saddle much, but sometimes it would be good to punch a little bit more. Should I do some of the Tabatas standing up to help improve at this?

Lastly, I have a hard time hitting 170% average for the last several intervals of each set. I end up towards the low end of the perscribed range. I assume this is fine as long as I keep doing my best.

Do whatever it takes in or out of the saddle to hit 170% for all the Tabatas.

My biggest tip is to not go OVER 170% for the first 1-2, otherwise you will pay :boom:

Re: you should be out of the saddle A LOT for cx

2 Likes

Thanks, Frank!
And yes, perfect picture of Gage and some Belgians there to motivate me to stand up and throw down a little more.

Iā€™m heading to Boulder for US Open of CX on 10/5-6 (closest UCI race for California racers now). Wondering if anyone on the ground there can keep an eye on conditions at Valmont so I know what tread to bring. Iā€™ve only raced there when itā€™s dry/dusty, but I know it can really slop up.

(I could also start a separate thread if others will be racing)

1 Like

Hi,

I just bought the advanced 6 wk cx program. It looks great. I have the same issue (all my races are on a Sunday). I understand how to swap the workouts (drag n drop).

Is the best thing to do just to move every work out along one day (I have done that in TP already)? I donā€™t understand what you mean here about moving the workout from Sunday to Thursday.

Thanks,

John

If not racing on a weekend with the cross intervals plan, what is the workout for Saturday? Looks like Sundays are typically a z2 150 TSS day.

Good morning @markfeatherman - in place of a race , you want to do a hard cx specific workout.

You can copy and paste a workout from another day in your plan and do that - you can blend a cx skills sessions to that since its a Saturday and you presumably have more time.

Short answer: cx specific intervals + skills. Even better answer: practice race and/or HOT LAPS

Hope that helps - good luck!

1 Like

Good morning John! If you left click drag 'n drop you can move workouts around. Thatā€™s what we recommend for races on Sunday v Saturday. See the post above for where to move those workouts.

If youā€™d like us to do this for you we have the coaching subscription:
https://fascatcoaching.com/training-plans/fascat-coaching-subscription/

Thanks for getting back to me. I understand how to move the workouts thanks and iā€™m happy to do it myself.

What I want to know is, if itā€™s fine to just move everything by one day so that the plan syncs up with my Sunday races. That would mean doing exactly what the plan says but just moved along by one day. Is this the best thing to do? It seems to make perfect sense to me.

I canā€™t find a post above that explains what to swap, if you mean the post that says: ā€˜Move the workout from Sunday back to Thursday and adjust the duration to the amount of time you have.ā€™ Then iā€™m afraid I donā€™t understand that at all.

I would 100% buy a plan for Sunday racers if thatā€™s something youā€™d make.

John, Iā€™m in the same situation as you, and have the exact same question (and same confusion). My races are on Sunday, so I purposely started the entire plan ā€œa day lateā€ in TPā€¦ in other words, the plan thinks that my Sunday is actually a Saturday (race day). This schedule makes my actual Saturday a rest day, before my race on Sunday.

Makes sense to me, am I doing it wrong? I am confused by coach Frankā€™s suggestion to move Sundayā€™s workout to Thursday.

Hey, glad iā€™m not the only one that was confused!

I have done 3 or 4 weeks of the plan now. As I said above I just shifted everything by one day, that makes the rest day on Friday, race day Sunday etc.

The only issue for me is that it means the longest ride of the week is now on a Monday. Itā€™s basically not safe/practical to do a post work long evening ride where I live (north of Scotland) in autumn/winter, so I have been doing the tempo/sweetspot blocks on my indoor trainer. I have abbreviated the z2 section and added an extra block of temp/SS, seems to make sense.

Would love to hear some feedback on my decisions. Iā€™m really enjoying the plan so far, TP certainly beats the old school Excel doc I had before!

I think the idea is if your racing a Sunday instead of Saturday, is for Tuesdayā€™s and Wednesdays workouts to be the same, but to move the rest day and openers from Thursday and Friday, forward to Friday and Saturday.
That leaves Thursday for the Sunday endurance ride, which obviously as most people work and probably donā€™t have 3-4 hours, it has been suggested to do what time allows.
For example I commute on a Thursday and tag on a loop to add some endurance in, otherwise Iā€™d probably manage 1-2 hours on the trainer.
Hope thats accurate/helps.

That does help, thank you! I agree with Johnā€™s comments above; I love the plan. Got another 2nd place yesterday (first loser, haha).

1 Like

Saturday and Sunday races:
We are coming up on Saturday and Sunday races, how do I adjust the plan for 2 days of racingā€¦

Thanks