Cyclocross Training Mega Thread

Hi @jazzwolfcx - we are big fans of Wednesday Worlds but it sounds like you have Tuesday Night Thunder :rofl: Do it!

So that is your workout for Tuesday - the mock 1 lap races, etcā€¦ AND that replaces your Thursday workout [Day 11]. This can be your new amended #FtFP since you have your TNT [Tuesday Night Thunders]

keep the 30/30ā€™s on Wednesdays and move the Day 9 Standing Starts to Thursday. That will be a VERY hard 3 day block but presumably you are a young :deer: and can recover to survive the 3 days.

If you notice your legs feeling like garbage Wednesday or Thursday your TNT is the culprit and youā€™ll want to make some changes.

Good luck and put the :hammer: down!

Thoughts on replacing the Wednesday CX 30/30, 1:30 long WO with a 1 hour MTB Wednesday worlds race this week, riding to and from the race for a total of 2:30 ride time.

MTB Worlds is not 'cross so different case than the poster above. The 30/30ā€™s will make you faster for your 'cross season. Also riding longer does not help you at this point of the season an will only tire you out for FtFPā€™ing. Those are my initial thoughtsā€¦

MTB Short Track is close but Iā€™d have to discuss the proā€™s/cons with you to say any further. By and large this is where FtFP comes in , sorry!

What are some gear suggestions for single speed CX? Iā€™m currently running 36 front and 16 rear but Iā€™m finding that it may be too big. So trying to figure out what others are riding with and I can make adjustments from there.

Fortunately Wednesday CX worlds starts next week! I will be FtFPing today.

1 Like

Seat height should be the same for all bikes!

2 Likes

Truer words hath never been spoken! Like #FtFP :wink:

I am currently in the 6 weeks till CX plan, and was planning to jump to the CX Race and Recover plan after that. I purchased the race and recover plan last year thinking it was the next plan to start after the 6 weeks plan. In the larger thread, it looks like CX intervals is the next plan in the progression, not CX race and recover. I only have a gap of 3-4 weeks to fill during the season that ends in late November (Minnesota) and wondering what I should do. Any advice?

1 Like

Correct , here is the progression:

My advice is to do 3-4 weeks of the cyclocross intervals plan before you move onto the cyclocross in season

1 Like

Hey Frank/Brandon, I bought the CX season plan and I noticed that the races are on Saturdays in the plans. Sadly, all but 1 of my races will be on Sundays. What is the best way to move the days around to fit this?
Thanks, Taylor!

Okay @taylor.mac.jones - you can easily edit your plan like this:
https://fascatcoaching.com/tips/adjust-fascat-training-plan/

So that means openers Saturday and rest day Friday. Move the workout from Sunday back to Thursday and adjust the duration to the amount of time you have. Presto poof!:white_check_mark::trophy:

4 Likes

@FRANK @Brandon I am on the 6weeks to CX advanced plan. How close should my weekday rides with skills be to the TSS planned in the workout?

For example, on my first Wednesday worlds I came home with a 45 TSS vs the 90 planned on the workout. I rode my brains out but there was lots cornering where there was no pedaling. I am experiencing a similar result with other skill based workouts. Should I do anything differently to meet the TSS goals?

1 Like

Donā€™t worry about TSS for skills based rides. In fact you arenā€™t concentrating on TSS at all with this plan. TrainingPeaks automatically calculates TSS as part of their workout builder feature as a part of the software - donā€™t worry about it.

The software doesnā€™t take into account ā€˜zero timeā€™ - where you arenā€™t making any watts but are instead cornering, coasting, running, etcā€¦

I do love you attention to #FtFP tho! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hi guys. Not a training question, but something that I hope the cyclocross experts can help me with.

I glued a tubular on to a front wheel tonight. Iā€™m pretty pleased with the job Iā€™ve done wobble-wise, however there is a 2-3mm hop :frowning:

Is that something I can live with? Will it matter when I am rolling along with my 68kg on 18psi?

Cheers :slight_smile:

I like how you are trying to win in the garage. Letā€™s ask Coach @Brandon bc I bet he has dealt with this before :wink:

2 Likes

@urban.spaceman, I doubt youā€™ll be able to notice! What brand tubulars?

Thatā€™s good to hear - they are Challenge (Baby Limus).

2 Likes

Great quality tire! Challenge tubulars are handmade, so itā€™s a challenge to get them perfectly straight and round (thatā€™s not a knock! (but is a pun?)). You shouldnā€™t noticed below 30 psiā€¦ especially on grass or dirt. Good luck this season!

1 Like

Thanks pal, you too.

Disc rotor size advice needed. Just downsized my rotors from 160mm to 140mm. Iā€™m 151 lbs. raced at Back 2 Basics last night on fairly flat course without issues. I did test at Bowl of Death in Louisville and felt a little underpowered. Should I just throw the 160mm back on the front or just ā€œbrake lessā€ lol