CX Nats - There will be running...or hiking

Hey there Fascat Nation! Have you seen this yet? If you are heading to CX Nats in Tacoma this year your should check it out. Who knows how much USA Cycling will change the course, but this is some good footage. Furthermore, a local friend told me, “There is a serious run-up. It’s so gnarly most elites cannot run, they have to walk. The course has substantial running and if it’s muddy there could be even more. The downhill sections are tough and if it is wet and muddy some people may need to run down, too.”

From what I have learned it sounds like there is about 140 feet of elevation gain per lap and most of it comes in the form of one monster run-up. This looks brutally hard because it comes after a tough slog through a grassy section. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out this is the crux section of the course. If you can dance up this climb repeatedly, lap after lap, chances are you will do pretty well.

Sounds like adding a run workout during the week. In the last podcast, Frank mentioned adding an easy hour run with hill sprints the evening after a hard ride (Wednesdays?)

It’s hard to find a perfect simulation of a tough long cx run. I think I will just do some hilly trail runs and do steep uphill sprints. Those aeem easier to motivate than the CX Run with bike workouts.

Yes, Frank is right. Incorporate this in to your weekly plan! I just posted this on the Fascat site: https://fascatcoaching.com/secrettraing-cx-nats-2019-time-to-run/

@marka_severy - no running! lol, serious tho - you will just injury yourself or fry your legs for pedaling. I am adamantly opposed to athletes ‘running’ or ‘joggin’ in Nove/Dec. You must run while you carry your bike during your skills practices.

Instead - weave a 45 second run into your wednesday worlds hotlaps: skills + running + intensity.

See Coach Brandon’s post on making your own cx course. Amend that to include a 45 second run each lap!

Excellent! Thanks Brandon and Frank :slight_smile: I’ll do my hill repeats carrying the bike at the end of my hard days :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It can’t hurt and could certainly pay off!

I’ve been on FasCat CX plans since February of 2019. I’m in the last 4 weeks of prep for Nationals CX. My last FTP Field Test was 6 months ago on May 11. My 20’ power was 3.85 W/Kg and that is what I based my Zones on. Looking at the Power Profile Chart in TP, for the last 180 days, 20’ power was 3.9 W/Kg. However for the last 90 days, the 20’ Power Profile has dropped to 3.3 W/Kg.

I’m wondering as I get ready for Nats, if I should recalculate my Zones using a value somewhere between 3.3 and 3.9 W/Kg? In August, I had trouble maintaining the workouts and had a SI joint setback of almost 3 weeks. I wonder if this was bc my Zones were too high or if the “Advanced 6 weeks to CX plan” was too much training load. I’m 64.

I think a lot of decrease in the 20’ power is due to the 9 days of racing CX in the last 3 months and most of my training being for short efforts of CX. With the 4 day CX training block coming up, I want to benefit from the high training load, but realize the risk is high that close to nationals.

Thank You very much!

Honestly @rwwsdca so much of cx training from now until nationals is either skill based, running or as hard as you can go. That is the zone - I wouldn’t worry about 3-5% +/- for the next 4 weeks. Testing takes away from you #FtFP’ing.

IOW its just not that important for your performance at nationals. Also the advanced plan is not for 64 year olds.