Coach Isaiah's Top 3 Charts in WKO5!

Driven athletes and progressive coaches are always seeking the cutting edge of new technology and the introductions of new tools to help them progress. The latest to hit the market is WKO5 - advanced software to analyze training a wide array of data points and endless customization possibilities. With the roll back of WKO4 and the lack of results sheets to guide athletes this year, the use of metric goals has become even more important.

If you’re curious about WKO5 and what charts might be helpful, take a look at my top three charts below. I use these charts with each of my athletes. Once set up, they help you to quickly obtain deeper insights from your workouts, and, by doing so, push your training to the next level.

Chart #1 : DFRC (Dynamic Functional Reserve Capacity)

How do you know how deep you went on your intervals? As an athlete it’s sometimes difficult to know in your 4 x :15 second sprint intervals if you went hard enough on the first one but still held onto enough for the last. DFRC is something I use to help analyze the amount of anaerobic energy an athlete uses (depletes) during an effort. Dynamic Functional Reserve Capacity (DFRC) is shown in KJ’s and can best be explained by draining and then charging a battery. In the chart above, the athlete executed the sprints correctly (power, shown in yellow), but you can tell by the DFRC (purple line) only falling to 6.518 in the first set, that they held back initially and could go a little harder the next time round.

Chart #2 : Elevation Correction

Power decreases as altitude increases. Consequently our zones change, and our long range metrics do as well (fatigue and training stress, for example), but to track this can be tough. While every athlete is different at altitude, the Elevation Correction Power chart gives us a good estimation of corrected power and power variation as you go up or down in altitude. This can be especially helpful if you have athletes doing efforts at high altitude, like going for a strava segment, doing a TT, or even Everesting at 1500+meters. By using Elevation Correction and past data you can advise an athlete how to pace an effort, when fatigue will likely set in, and even fueling as they might be working different systems then they expect.

Chart #3 : Postseason Athlete Reviews (PMC, Peaks, and Fatigue Resistance)

At the end of each athlete’s season it’s critical to take a look back at what they have achieved by doing a post season review. By compiling a list of stats you can see some pretty telling trends and WKO5 makes this simple.

By using the Performance Management Chart, Peak Metric Chart, and Fatigue Resistance Chart customized to be peaks after 2000KJ’s I am able to review how an athlete has progressed from year to year as well as within the current year. I cater which metrics to assess by who the athlete is and what goals they have. For this stage racer (see chart), efforts after an accumulated KJ was important to see as this allows them to make sure they are able to achieve race winning numbers after a long stage. This number for a professional road rider will look very different from a Master’s criterium racer’s review.

I also use these reviews as a way to plan on what can be improved the following season. Can the average training volume be changed? Can more focus be put on peak metrics that are trending flat? Do we actually need to drop CTL when training for a particular style of effort because the athlete performs better with a little more freshness? These are all great questions to ask your coach and will be helpful within planning for years to come.

With the right approach, data can be a tool that can aid both athletes and coaches, alike. These are just a few of the charts that I find useful on a daily basis and I encourage you to give them a try. Let us know if you have any questions or what your favorite charts are!

8 Likes

Hey Isaiah - great charts! Just one quick question - should I be able to find them in the chart library or do they have to be self-configured in WKO5 please?
cheers
Aaron

3 Likes

The first two are existing if you’re looking at “Workouts”. Curious where the third is from though. Kind of looks like a spreadsheet made by searching for the peaks.

2 Likes

Thanks @aaronmccormack. DFRC you can find through training impact in the workout function. Elevation correction as well.
Then for the final chart its a collection of data from Performance Management Chart, Peak Metric Chart, and Fatigue Resistance Chart.

2 Likes

The wko group on farcebook has a pretty big collection of downloadable dashboards people have uploaded. You can see the listing of group files here, I’m not sure how but you can probably follow it back to the posting for some context of that dashboard.

3 Likes

Thanks Isaiah - found it! Was searching for FRC rather than Training Impact. it’s been “fun” to look back at hard races (usually involving cracking) with this lens… appreciate everything you guys do!!!

3 Likes

That is good stuff Coach!

3 Likes

Those look like great tools… please forgive my ignorance, but they also available in TrainingPeaks?

Unfortunately not. WKO5 is a separate tool to analyse your workouts. It will connect to your TrainingPeaks to download the native fit files but it requires the horsepower of your computer to create the reports and cache files.

1 Like

Ooh, shiny new things!

1 Like

I can’t remember if it was a link somewhere or a code but if purchasing WKO it is worthwhile to email their support or tracking down instructions before buying it, there is a good discount if you are a TrainingPeaks premium athlete.

This is a timely topic. With the dFRC chart, how would you read it to determine if the interval was a successful interval? Doing VO2 intervals using my WKO-derived power at VO2max (~400w) at 380w shows me totally depleting my FRC during the interval. Each successive interval depletes FRC just a little bit more. I’m able to complete the interval despite this. Is this good/bad/neutral? Happy to post a snip of the chart if that helps.

@Ryan_B
If the focus of the effort is Full Gas/full depletion on each effort then seeing the FRC deplete fully from the first interval to the last is important. A continued slight depletion is normal as well on all out efforts, so this is fine. But a large change shows that energy was not used evenly, so for full gas VO2 work this is not good.
The level of depletion you are looking for is also related to the focus of the effort, so that is also something to keep in mind.
WKO has a great article on DFRC and FRC that I think you will find interesting.
https://www.wko5.com/dfrc

1 Like

Hi Coach Isaiah, have you found a use for the info on the Glycolytic Capacity chart? Here is mine, with current mostly off-season power data my WKO5 phenotype is sprinter with low anaerobic capacity (what a combo :rofl:):

My interpretation is that on the 4x15-sec sprintervals, the first sprint on each set will burn thru PCr as my max duration is estimated at 7 seconds. Then the other 3 sprints will only use the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems. The 5-min rest between intervals will allow for (some) recharging of PCr.

Also, do you have any thoughts about when dFRC goes negative? This is from two weeks ago:

The dark purple horizontal line is 0kJ, as you can see the first 3 sets dipped below 0kJ.

One interpretation I have is that the PDC model doesn’t have enough max data to provide an accurate FRC model. In other words, my actual FRC is >11.3kJ and the model is a reflection of the data quality in 90-day window. Just curious.

@bsquared I like to call that an "all-rounder":wink:

I do use the Glycolytic Capacity sparingly as its interesting to see how you can improve/track optimal recovery periods between systems.

For your dFRC going negative I think this is a great example of the more data you have the better and how in WKO it just continues to get more powerful as you go. And I agree with you that the PDC model is still changing as you do more of this style of efforts.
The other thing I will say is even Tim (who created dFRC) says that this model is a work in progress. He also says in order for dFRC to be accurate you have to have done “an accurate range of performance”. So max efforts on the short, middle range, and long in the past 90 days. This does make this a tool that has to be used to with a bit of a grain of salt depending on time of year.

1 Like

That article has an embedded YouTube video, going directly to YouTube:

there is a download for the slides.

and slide 21 answered my question. Copy & pasting here if anyone else was curious:

Modeling dFRC is hard and in some occasions, it can go negative but typically, the problem is with the athlete testing and model maintenance

• FRC is too low
  • FTP is too high

lol we posted at same time

Thanks and exactly my thinking.

You got it :wink: . Gotta love Tim’s presentations ha

my mFTP is definitely too high right now, focused on lifting and not model maintenance. This pic from webinar says it all:

and eerily it looks like my current PDC. I had some strong anaerobic efforts fall outside the 90-day window recently and mFTP went up from something like 260 to 268. No my FTP did not magically get better by taking an off-season and spending time doing resistance training and zone2 bike work :rofl:

love your statement of “focused on lifting and not model maintenance”.

When “model maintenance” fits into training then of course that is something that can be done. But time and place for everything, and never at the cost of something that can progress an athlete even further towards their goals.

1 Like