Ask a FasCat #17 Podcast Q&A!

Hi , my question is regarding ride nutrition.

I want to avoid uses Gel like GU or something like that,I want to use real food for carbs, like sweet potato , banana, etc, but I am a Mountain biker , how to do that while pedaling?

When picking a plan type (basic, intermediate, advanced), what should we base it off of? Where we see ourselves as a rider? How many hours weā€™d like to spend in the saddle? Where weā€™d LIKE to see ourselves as a rider? I can give 10-14 hours a week to training, so I picked the intermediate plan for Road Racing Intervals, but it hits 10 hrs only once during the 6 weeks. I typically ride a lot longer than prescribed on the group ride, which pushes me over the limit. Would it be better to give the advanced plan a go? In a nutshell, what are the differences between each plan type and do they differ from plan to plan?

For sweet spot intervals, when to progress to longer/more? If doing 3x20, how you know when your ready to do 4x20? What would the progression be, 2x30 after 3x20 or?

Hey Gang, I have done the SS 1, 2, and 3 and will soon start climbing intervals. In Canada nothing is happening for events or bike travel for a while because of covid and lack of vaccines . Like maybe the fall (september?)
I was thinking after climbing Intervals of going back to Sweet spot 3 before another build in hopes of some event.
Does that sound solid.
Thanks and the jerseys look awesome :grinning: :grinning:

Maybe not podcast worthy, but during my 3x10 workout today I had a thought. So I have a bad habit of worrying about average speed during some of my threshold workouts. I find myself riding the z2 efforts and rest intervals at a higher wattage then recommended, to keep my speed up. Today my target power for the 10 minute efforts was 304-351 watts. I hit 357 average for all three. So Iā€™m not taking anything away from the efforts. But I guess my question is, should I just ride easier during the easy parts of the workout and maybe try to shoot even higher during the work intervals?

Should I take the extra effort that Iā€™m using during the warmup and rest intervals and put that into the work intervals? Or if Iā€™m feeling good, there is other benefits to be had from what Iā€™m doing?

In cycling there is a lot of talk about marginal gains. What are the major gains that should be nailed down before worrying about marginal gains?

Hey there! Question. With a background in science, I get intrigued reading the research from the variety supplements on the market (Amp lotion, beet root, beta-alanine, etcā€¦) that claim to increase cycling performance in various ways. My question is other than winning in the kitchen is there any supplement in your arsenal that the FasCat crew has trialed or frequently use that seemed to benefit your performance or recovery? Thanks for your time!

I am riding my first century (venus de miles lyons) in late August and then am registered for a marathon in mid-October (Boulderathon). How much of a difference in fitness exertion is there between these two events? Is it merely a matter of maintenance and transitioning from biking to running post-ride? Or is there a stark difference in the two events and should I be actively trying to do long runs while I prep for my century? If you have a multi-sport plan that youā€™d recommend among your catalog, Iā€™m all ears! :slight_smile:

Wow had to listen to the entire Q&A only to find my question not addressed, Even a response here wouldā€™ve been ok :frowning: :frowning_face:

a 10 sec sprint at the end of a 20 min test is barely going to change your average power, maybe a watt, maybe none. So in the end, it really doesnt matter.
If you can do a really powerful sprint at the end of a test, Iā€™d say you paced the test poorly. Iā€™m not a coach, but someone whos been power training for 19 years.

1 Like

Hey Malcom!
Sorry we did not have the time to answer your question live on the pod.
To answer your questionā€¦ whether you sit or stand does not exactly matter, so long as you are putting out your best power. If you think about it, many athletes FTP data comes from racing and you rarely stay seated for the entirety of race efforts. Also think about when you do a Field test outside, many times you get to a pitch in the road and in order to keep your pace you have to stand up for a little bit.

In the end, power is power and your Field test should be an all out effort :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was looking forward to hearing the answer to @malcolm.isaacs question too. But the answer I was interested in was if you are alternating sitting and standing during your test, should you then be sitting and standing during your intervals?

1 Like

It does not matter- do whatever you can to put out as much power as possible. There are a few workouts where you should stay seated (e.g. muscle tension intervals) and for those we indicate that in the workout description.

In the end, power is king and the way you achieve it will not be the same as another athleteā€¦ so do what works best or you!

5 Likes

Iā€™m 100% onboard with @Lacey_Rivette with the hydration pack. I use a camelbak chase. You donā€™t see a lot of cyclist with them b/c you donā€™t see a lot of cyclists out for 4 hours :slight_smile:

1 Like

which are the effects of Sleep Deprivation on Performance for cyclist?