30 NEW FOR 2022 Plan vs 2020 plans

Hello, I purchased the 10 week weight lifting and SS1,2,3 in 2020 off-season. What is the main difference with this new 30 week off-season plan? Will I still be good with my ‘older’ plans or will the 2022 plans give me some extra’s?

greetz

1 Like

The main difference is the 30 week plan is laid out as one plan. So it has proper periodization with built in rest weeks as opposed to 4 separate plans that you would have to combine yourself and shift weeks to keep the traditional 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

As for the weightlifting part of the 30 week plan, we have redesigned all the workouts to better balance the strain from the weight lifting. We also adjusted the sets and reps for the basic, intermediate and advanced plans. The links and training tip content are updated too!

Then some of the differences from the last 16 weeks compared to sweet spot 1, 2 and 3 plan.

1. It combines workouts from sweet spot parts 1 - 2. - 3 - 4 and includes some of our signature wintertime intensity workouts (completely new).

2. The Periodization is different, following 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off from start to finish (ends with a rest week to set you up to be fresh for your next training plan).

3. It has an added field test in the middle of the plan, as well as ones at the beginning and end. Different from the 3 plans as you would come across one every 6 weeks which is usually not necessary.

4. It has added Sweet Spot TSS Rides that can be done indoors or outdoors on a group ride/solo + includes Zwift instructions.

5. New training tip content with Video Demonstrations added.

3 Likes

I thought I’d add my question to this thread rather than start a new thread as it concerns the 30 week training plan.

The resistance program worksheet in which the various weights for each exercise are calculated has a total of 6 hypertrophy (heavy) and 6 hypertrophy (light) sessions in it before moving onto the Strength phase. In Training Peaks, my first Hypertrophy (heavy) session was Monday 1st November with Hypertrophy 9light) following the next day and this pattern repeating for session #2 later that week and sessions #3 and #4 this week (w/c 8th Nov).

Next week however, instead of seeing Hypertrophy session #5 and #6 in two x two day blocks as in previous weeks I’m scheduled to move into the Strength phase and then two weeks later into the Power phase. My question is about this disconnect between the Resistance Program worksheet and the plan as it appears in Training Peaks. Should I forget about doing Hypertrophy sessions #5 and #6 and jump straight into Strength? Or should I add in a week to complete sessions #5 and #6 before moving into Strength - which presumably would make the 30 week plan a 31 week plan?

The goal of the hypertrophy phase is a 2-week phase to build muscle. It is two weeks long. During this phase you will lift 4 days per week: 2 days ON 2 days OFF format. Each workout will entail 6 sets of 10-12 reps per set.

So you should see 2 weeks of hypertrophy and a total of 8 hypertrophy workouts. (4 heavy and 4 light) With each of those 8 workouts you will do sets 1 & 2, 3 & 4 and 5 & 6 which are shown on the spreadsheet.

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something obvious here, but 6 sets of Hypertrophy (heavy) and 6 sets of Hypertrophy (light) is a total of 12 sets which at a rate of 4 sessions a week would take 3 weeks. The plan in TP only show 8 total sessions over 2 weeks during which time I don’t see how you get past Heavy sessions 1-4 and Light sessions 1-4 to do sessions 5 and 6.

Bottom line seems to be that the answer is to keep the Hypertrophy phase to just two weeks (8 sessions) even if that means forgoing heavy and light sessions 5 and 6, right?

You are going to do 6 sessions (sets) with each hypertrophy day. So you do 1 and 2, then 3 and 4 and finally 5 and 6 as your sets.

For strength phase you will see it labeled strength 1 and 2 and then 3 and 4 on the headline in the spreadsheet however under each of those you do sessions 1, 2, 3 and 4 as your sets.

1 Like

Oh cr*p, I’ve been doing it wrong. I thought a ‘session’ was a visit to the gym, not a single set. So, to use an example of the first ‘session’ of Hypertrophy (Heavy) I did 6 sets of 10 reps at 65% of max and then the next day (Light) did 6 sets of 10 reps of 60% of Max.

Fortunately, I saw your note before heading out to do my eighth and final ‘session’ later this morning so can at least get one of them right.

Thank you for the clarification.

Looking ahead to Strength next week, each visit to the gym will be 4 sets of 6 reps at the stated percentages of max, correct/?

For weight lifting, is there more rest built-in or only changes in the workouts / reps? I’m currently working through the 12 week plan since I had already purchased with the intent of using this year. Are there any tips on adjustments I should consider if I find myself struggling?

We have redesigned all the workouts to better balance the strain from the weight lifting. We also adjusted the sets and reps for the basic, intermediate and advanced plans.

The links and training tip content are updated too!

Another questions about the 30 week plan, though not related to the thread, per se. Since the plan doesn’t begin with a FTP test, I’m wondering what I should use to set FTP as I’m new to training. I do have data from my Power Meter and last years indoor rides, so should I just take a percentage of my all-time best 20m? …my best 20 was on zwift…and my 2nd best was outdoors (if that matters).

Hi jake. I am in hypertrophy stage but my plan has 2 days ON and only 1 day OFF? That’s different to your post?!